Monday, November 30, 2009

The Manufactory

Here's an odd, creepy story I ran across yesterday:

"It was the third grave I’d cracked that night and the third twitcher I’d found inside. The little girl was curled up in a tight ball, thumb in her toothless mouth. Her shaven head was bloody where the wires had been ripped away, and her lips were covered with sores. I crouched over the broken lid, rope and hook in hand, and nearly pissed myself when her eyes snapped open. I couldn’t tell if their glitter was light from my lantern or a leftover galvanic charge still dancing through wires too deeply embedded to remove. "

It's by Dru Pagliassotti, published in the current issue of Beneath Ceaseless Skies. BCS is an online magazine that publishes literary adventure fantasy. Interesting read. Get the rest of the story here.


3 comments:

  1. Now that's quite a story. My breath paused twice. The prose was crisp. The tale electric. Not for sissies though. Good thing I'm not one!

    Great share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a spectacular beginning. Hooked me from the first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. Literary adventure fantasy? Interesting. Was a time that would have been considered an oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete