Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm grateful to have a good job, a wonderful marriage, and people who care about me. I'm not rich and I don’t have a huge house or fancy car, but sometimes I just look around at what I do have and realize that I am so lucky to be living in comfort, with plenty of food in my pantry, nice clothes in my closet, new books on my coffee table, a down comforter on my bed. There are so many people out there who are cold, hungry, lonely, afraid; people who don't have running water, people living in cardboard boxes, people begging for food for their children to eat. People all over the world are suffering things that we can't even imagine.

If you're looking for a way to reach out to the less fortunate this holiday season, here are a few ideas:

Angel In Queens

This man is a saint. He has been feeding the hungry every day out of his own pocket. Find out how to help him at the link above.

A 17 year-old boy came up with this idea to help the women of Darfur avoid being raped when they search for firewood outside their refugee camps. One $30 donation buys a fuel-efficient stove and relieves a lot of suffering.

Sponsor wheels, a roof, frame, mattress, or an entire EDAR shelter for someone who is currently living on the streets.

Don't have any money to spare? Take a vocabulary test at Free Rice. For each answer that you get right, FreeRice donates rice through the United Nations World Food Program.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. And a happy and blessed Thanksgiving to you too, Yvette!

    Like you, I am always thankful for the smallest of things. A warm house in winter. A pot of stew cooking on the stove. Sharing laughter over a cup of hot coffee with my older daughters. Clean, soft sheets on my bed. Growing up in such a big family, I learned to appreciate what we had. Still do.

    Thanks so much for the links also. Due to the terrible economy, we don't have to go far to find those in need. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dorraine. You're right about that - we don't have to look far at all.

    ReplyDelete