Saturday, January 9, 2010

When Jimmy Fishes For What Was His Mother

Here's a disturbing tale by J.A. Tyler, who has a very distinctive style. This story appears in Issue 37 of Storyglossia.

"I don't know what this is.

This is true.

Jimmy fished, his pole hung in the water, the tip making ripples. And yes, Jimmy caught a fish that was his mother. He brought it home, this fish that was his mother, and he wrapped it in bathtub water. And yes, the bathtub had claw feet, so it was very much like dropping a fish into the mouth of a hungry tiger. And in the middle of the night he heard his father screaming for something that was missing and sweat collected on the back of his head, wet as water, swimming. Jimmy dove in
."
read the rest

Also, despite the fact that this is a fiction blog, I have to include a link to this poem that blew me away. It's by Natalie Eilbert.

And here is a link to a very amusing confessional by Roxane Gay.

5 comments:

  1. Powerful stuff. Raw and true. I did lose a mother and by then I had young children of my own. My baby brother, still at home, was only 14. I'm sure he would say this hits just about right for the wrong.

    Thankfully, he is doing great now. A good, talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. y w-h, thanks for linking to that story - much appreciated. best in 2010,

    ReplyDelete
  3. my pleasure, j.a.

    Dorraine, I sympathize. I lost my own mother when I was in my early twenties and it was very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very sorry to hear that, Yvette. I know how much you must miss her.

    ReplyDelete