Friday, December 18, 2009

Off The Map

Best of the Web 2009 contains a great little story from The Summerset Review, so I looked them up to see what else I could find. Off the Map is an unusual and memorable story by John Morgan Davies.

"At the end of this story, I will lose a son. I will do it, initially, by dropping him into a dumpster behind a fast-food franchise on a busy street. I will do it at four in the morning, when the city is asleep. I will do it with Javier waiting in the car, lights off. I will wrap the baby in newspaper and plastic, place him in the cradle of a trash bag, the softest I can find. I will place him as best I can so that he'll be found, while still following Javier's directions to smother him in a bag among other bags—in case he checks my work. He won't be able to blame me for incompetence, I kid myself. At that point, the baby will be five hours old. "
read the rest

Also, look at this! I think I'll have to buy this book just based on the cover:






I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that short story is heartbreaking! Unusual, nonlinear, but I think it will haunt me. Thank you for finding it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice words on "Off the Map." - Joseph Levens, editor of The Summerset Review

    ReplyDelete